View Poll Results: What do you think of grenades?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always thought they were useful

17 80.95%
  • I didn't realize how useful they can be until now

0 0%
  • I like turtles. Not grenades

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    V I P diamondgamers.net Sinistral's Avatar

Why aren't grenades more popular?

I feel like I'm the only one at times that sees the value of grenades. Sometimes they'll end up being the last thing researched, or not at all. I hate to have to ask for them so maybe this thread will help me out. We have all seen aliens turn and run away as soon as a grenade goes out...so?

They will help to get your team back from a rough start and are a serious option when you have like 2 res towers 3 minutes in - they're 10 res so why are you trying to wait for an AA when you only have two extractors? Do something while you still can.

In my opinion you should never build an Advance Armory if you don't have grenades yet, they will help protect your expensive weapons.

They should be researched right before or after shotguns for Fades.

• Nerve gas is incredibly useful for area denial - protects ARCs and helps with taking down Gorge tunnels (when the aliens pop out into a cloud of it).
    • Nerve gas hurts armor - stops Onos
    • Stun grenades hurt energy - stops Fades and Lerks
    • Used together they will stop anything
    • They cost 3 res. The most affordable weapon and therefore can be used at nearly any time.
    • Cluster grenades. Little damage and over in a second. Meh

but

Diamond Member diamondgamers.net KizerZin's Avatar

it's sad but one thing is Nads do not cost alot for a 2 time use. plus so many die before they even get the 2nd one out.. or 1st if they are un-lucky., like mines. they can slow or stop you from every getting shottys, jets or exos down the line. that can really fuck you over.

I will say the "normal" nad is useless... but gas and the zappy one can be useful... more players JUST can't fallow them up to make them useful.
    Last edited by KizerZin; 02-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    "Suicide is a way of telling God, "YOU CAN'T FIRE ME, I QUIT!"

I think nades are fine, but they have a couple of problems:
    1. there are times where you will die without using them.
    2. The only one that I can find particularly useful is nerve gas, mainly because clusters spread the damage out to far to be a big game changer, and the stun nades you have to relatively precise in where you throw them to be really effective.
    3. when you die, the nades spontaneously combust or some crap. they really need to have a drop model like mines.

Diamond Member diamondgamers.net Leprachaun's Avatar

Ehh I think they are very useful. Clusters may not have as much damage but a well placed cluster grenade can deal considerable damage to a gorged up area. such as numerous crags and whips next to each other. It helps block early gorge spam.

Junior Diamond

Hey just been invited to the clan, they are invaluable to the marines but i guess some people die before they can throw them and that is very offputting, you just need to get organized get an armory near there base and protect the naders

That being said if u get a good nade push u are almost unstoppable

Junior Diamond

thew normal one destroys vent monsters pretty well

Diamond Member diamondgamers.net fxckingarto's Avatar

Nerve gas for the win against higher lifeforms, clusters are awesome for those that like to go into the vents, and of course pulse for fades and groups of skulks. whenever I comm I facepalm when I forget early grenades
    Meow?

Junior Diamond diamondgamers.net Pikum's Avatar

I almost feel like this can go into the same category of discussions as "do the players have the skill to handle shade hive first." Personally I love using grenades, especially nerve gas, but I find it frustrating trying to coordinate with teammates on which ones to buy. It seems that every time I spend the 3 res on nerve gas, I'll get to the front lines to find that someone else bought some too and now I have two grenades that aren't immediately beneficial to the fight.. Yeah I might be able to use them after 10 seconds, but sometimes fights just don't last that long, and I would have rather gotten the cluster grenades for the higher dps and what not... shrug.

I'd love to see grenades researched earlier, that's for sure, but yeah, it can come down to the skill of the team, and I too would love to see a drop mechanic in case you don't get both of them off before dying.

V I P diamondgamers.net Sinistral's Avatar

Hehe. I was nervous to come back to this post because I thought there would be some hating. Happy to see there's been some good discussion.

I think the impact proximity has been reduced since they were first introduced but it's still so fun stunning an Onos and hunting it down with a rifle! I also love pitching a stun grenade at an incoming skulk and watching them drop.

Junior Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by PacmanKnight View Post
    I almost feel like this can go into the same category of discussions as "do the players have the skill to handle shade hive first."
    Agree with this sentiment. In a public server, comms are hesitant to waste rez on the research because A) no one will buy them or B) they wont' use them correctly. Simiarly players may be hesitant to purchase them even if researched because they don't think teammates will coordinate or the player is worried they'll die. Plus if you buy a shotgun, if you don't die then in theory you always have that shotgun, and even if you do die you might get it back With grenades, its rez down the hole no matter what.

Personally I find nerve gas to be the most useful is the most situations. The pulse grenade is really only useful against an onos. Hitting a fade or lerk with it is awesome way to take them down, but you have to actually hit a fade or lerk with it in the first place which is like killing a fly with chopsticks.

Cluster grenades are pretty, but also pretty useless. I dunno, maybe if you did a cluster grenade rush with a whole team throwing them all at once into a hive area with a lot of structures near the hive, that could be epic, but otherwise generally worthless against alien players.

In the end I love grenades as it adds more variety and flavor to the marine gameplay, which is usually very straight forward tech path. In any game, I find the less used options to be more fun. Min/maxing may win the match but isn't the point to have some fun along the way?
    Last edited by PegLegPete; 06-01-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarification